Saturday, March 14, 2009

Whiplash

That whole thing about the spring in my step, well, I take it back. This city is famous for its' whiplash weather, its' neck breaking, wardrobe testing, inducing-weathermen-to-a-fever-pitch, capable of jumping or dropping thirty degrees in a single evening weather. And sometimes, it's just too much. I mean seriously, like when you didn't even know it, but you're ready for spring, and then spring comes (Tuesday) and then it's gone (Wednesday), and it drives you mad. Now, let me gather some perspective. I like Louisville, I like that we get to experience all four seasons here, and they are each gorgeous. The change in the smell of the air from winter to spring, from summer to fall is enough for me to get through the dog days of summer and the power failures and incompetent drivers of winter. I realized Tuesday night that I welcomed spring with open arms, to sit outside on a deck and feel the breeze and see the moon and smell the smells of spring and growth. And when I woke up Wednesday morning, I felt robbed. You see, one of the best things for me about winter is pockets. I love wearing jackets and long pants and having pockets full of all the things that you might need; wallets, phones, swiss army knives, money, earphones, flashlights, gloves, toboggans. The massive head fake of letting this go and moving to a jacketless, shorts driven climate and then jumping back is enough to induce grandma "spells". You know, "I'm just having one of my spells". Yeah, me too.
I'm hoping for good weather in Austin this upcoming week, but I can't check it yet because if it's less than stellar, I don't know if I could handle that right now. I've been listening to the sxsw music player to get a feel for and find some standouts that I want to make a priority. There are a few Louisville bands I need to check out: Broadfield Marchers, Watson Twins, & Wax Fang, as well as an old friend of mine Josh Hawkins from Chicago will be there. Kyle's radio show has been interesting because most of what he's been playing are inadvertently bands that will be at sxsw. As for today, it's a day that lacks motivation, or more accurately, sucks the motivation out of you and makes you either clean the house or watch dvd's. And today, I had forgotten how great season 2 of Alias was (thanks rob).
b

No comments: